Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Cinnamon Sugar Bread


I'm not sure if I have talked about my obsession with bread. I haven't had the opportunity to cook a lot lately because I've been so busy, which is a HUGE BUMMER! That being said I am constantly looking for bread recipes.

I will be the first to say that I love Mrs. Bairds and Sara Lee, but there is something about cooking bread from scratch. The satisfaction that you made that, even after all the frustrating kneading or dough not rising right. And most importantly the smells! I remember my mom making them in her bread machine when I was little. It was always a real treat to get the homemade bread the really really good stuff. 

Unfortunately we no longer have a bread machine so I have had to find other, at times more difficult, ways to make breads. Over the next weeks as I post these bread recipes I will do my best to simplify and to let you know which ones are best when starting out. 

Bread is challenging especially if you've never seen it done before. You don't know what to expect, you don't know if the dough has risen enough..all are valid fears but you don't have to be so critical. It works a lot easier than you think! So...

 DON'T FEAR THE BREAD! BE THE BREAD!

This particular recipe I found on Averie Cooks. I really, really like it. And it wasn't too difficult...mostly because it doesn't use yeast. (so not a true bread) but that's ok. What matters is that it is scrumdiddilyumptious and you are going to LOVE it.

         Cinnamon Sugar Bread







                         1/3 C. Granulated Sugar
                         1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
                         1/4 C. Unsalted Butter, melted
                         1 Large Egg
                         1 C. Light Brown Sugar, packed
                         1/4 C. Vegetable Oil
                         1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
                         1 C. Buttermilk
                         2 C. All-purpose Flour
                         1 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
                         3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
                         pinch of salt


Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350. Melt a tablespoon or two of butter and use a paper towel to rub the sides of the pan and coat lightly with flour. 

Step 2: Mix the Sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. You'll use this later.

Step 3: Melt 1/4 c. of butter in the microwave and cool slightly. In a large bowl combine the butter, egg, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Then whisk in the buttermilk.

Step 4: Add the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Stop stirring once everything is combined. (the batter may not be smooth and that's ok). 

Step 5: Pour half of the batter into prepared pan(s). Gently pound the tray on the counter to smooth the batter. Pour some of the cinnamon sugar over over this to create a cinnamon ribbon in the bread. Then pour the remaining batter on top. Again gently pound the tray on the counter to smooth.

Step 6: Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar on top! It will help the crust become crunchy. Stick it in the oven and bake! Averie Cooks recommends 45-55 minutes, I started checking on mine at 35 minutes and when it was no longer jiggly in the center stuck a tooth pick in. If it comes out clean you're done!

It's really really really good! I hope you enjoy eating it and that it's not too hard for you to make. If you like the recipe I hope you keep reading my blog for more, but also be sure to check out Averie Cooks to see more of her great recipes.

check back this weekend for some yummy Valentine's treats!

Happy Eating,

Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment